What are cosmeceuticals?
Cosmeceuticals are a result of advanced innovations, based on research and development conducted by skincare product manufacturers and experts in the pharmaceutical science technology – with the aim of providing safe, highly effective skincare products, also known as “cosmeceuticals.” Cosmeceuticals contain active ingredients that have more therapeutic (medical or medicinal) effects, more intensive compounds, and more healing properties than the average cosmetics. In addition, they are safer to use, and do not damage the skin.
True cosmeceuticals have to undergo rigorous testing to prove efficiency and visible effects. Cosmeceutical products should effectively penetrate into the skin, and be able to restore the skin’s structure and condition within 2 to 4 weeks.
The main ingredients in cosmeceuticals include highly concentrated extracts, both artificial and natural; as well as highly concentrated minerals and vitamins that have better skin nourishing efficiency than common cosmetics.
PROBLEMS WITH TODAY’S COSMETICS
A commonly encountered problem with the use of cosmetics is its temporary effects, which means the skin only looks better during the period of application; when rinsed off, the skin returns to the same condition. According to some research results, it is found that most cosmeceuticals and cosmetics contain additives that help increase volume, as well as enhance product appearance and odor for aesthetic appeal, in order to survive fierce competition and maximize profits. Products of this sort do not yield the desired results as claimed, and provide almost no lasting results after long-term use.
CAUSES OF TEMPORARY EFFECTS IN THE USE OF COSMETICS OR OTHER SKINCARE PRODUCTS
1. Silicone-type additives contained in the products help keep the cream adhere to the skin longer, making the skin feel soft and smooth as well as concealing its flaws. However, these additives have no real beneficial effects in skin care and rejuvenation. Thus, they are not necessary, and their effects (if any) wash away easily when rinsed off.
2. The products contain a lower amount of active ingredients than what is claimed.
3. The products contain ineffective, low-quality active ingredients – thus, not yielding the desired results as claimed.
4. The products contain ingredients that do not conform to the GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice) standards, and have not been through the cosmetics quality control system – thus, yielding no desirable results or, even worse, causing irritations, rashes, acne, or other damages to the skin.
5. Some products contain no carrier to deliver active ingredients to where they can be most effective and beneficial – thus, resulting in no visible effects.
6. The products contain high amount of additives, in order to…
– alter the appearance, fragrance, and color of products – making it look aesthetically attractive
– increase volume (Such additives include silicone, and propylene glycol.)
– extend product life
– reduce production cost
Some additives may cause skin irritations and damage skin layers; while others are being investigated on for the possibility of being carcinogenic.
What are additive agents in common cosmetics?
They are substances added to cosmetic products – in order to increase volume; enhance texture, color and odor; as well as maintain product stability. These substances, including preservatives, may cause skin irritation and acne if not washed off thoroughly. Some of them are being medically investigated of being possible carcinogens.
These additive agents include silicone, propylene glycol, alcohol, fragrance, color and parabens.
How to know that a cosmetics product is safe, and of high quality?
- produced by dermatological and pharmaceutical experts
- certified by the Thai FDA
- certified by the GMP ASEAN Standards
- yield visible effects as claimed
Note: Due to the regulations of the Cosmetics Act, the mechanism of directly achieving results and performance of products beyond the epidermis layer of the skin cannot be stated for example boosting collagen and elastin production. Also it does not change the natural skin mechanisms.